Continuing to lead MySQL innovation, Oracle announced the immediate availability of a new Development Milestone Release for MySQL 5.7. To meet the demands of today’s web, cloud, and embedded applications, the new release extends the performance, scalability and reliability of MySQL, the world’s most popular open source database, while also enhancing management capabilities. In addition, Oracle announced the availability of several other MySQL product releases and early access features.
Continuing to drive MySQL innovation, Oracle announced the availability of a new Development Milestone Release (DMR) for MySQL 5.7.
Available for download in the MySQL Developer Zone, this MySQL 5.7.4 DMR delivers improvements in replication, security, and instrumentation resulting in significantly higher performance and improved manageability over MySQL 5.6.
The Release Candidate of MySQL Fabric, providing high availability management and scale out through sharding is also available. MySQL Fabric is included in the Release Candidate version of MySQL Utilities 1.4.2.
MySQL Workbench 6.1 is generally available today, delivering additional capabilities for performance assessment and query optimization.
In addition, Oracle is providing early access to features under development including Geographic Information System (GIS) and multi-source improvements, and a preview of MySQL Cluster 7.4, for community testing and feedback through labs.mysql.com/.
New MySQL Enhancements Improve Performance, Scalability and Manageability
Performance and Scalability
• MySQL DMR 5.7.4 provides performance and throughput improvements for Solid State Disks (SSD).
• Improved InnoDB buffer pool and metadata locking deliver higher throughput, performance and scalability.
• MySQL semi-synchronous replication performance enhancements.
• Benchmark tests using SysBench Read-only Point-Selects, at 1024 connections, resulted in MySQL 5.7 delivering 512,000 QPS, 2x better than MySQL 5.6, and 3x better than MySQL 5.5.
• Optimizer enhancements provide more accurate cost calculations.
• Performance Schema improvements, including added instrumentation.
• Security enhancements, including Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 256-bit encryption and new options for password management.
Part of MySQL Utilities, MySQL Fabric delivers high availability with automatic failure detection and failover as well as scale out through data sharding.
MySQL Workbench 6.1 delivers additional capabilities for performance assessment and query optimization including:
• New performance dashboard and reports.
• Enhanced Explain plans to help optimize query performance.
• New MySQL “SYS” Schema, providing simplified views on MySQL performance schema, instrumentation schema and more.
MySQL Workbench helps to easily migrate from Microsoft SQL Server and can reduce Database TCO by up to 90 percent.
Key features are also available through labs.mysql.com, for early testing and feedback from the MySQL community.
• MySQL 5.7 features include: GIS improvements including spatial index support in InnoDB, as well as improved accuracy and performance; better performance and throughput using SSDs; and continued development of multi-source replication.
• MySQL Cluster 7.4 includes significant performance enhancements including speed of node restarts.
"Oracle continues to invest in MySQL innovation by providing increased performance, scalability, reliability and manageability,” said Tomas Ulin, vice president, MySQL Engineering, Oracle. “The latest MySQL 5.7 development milestone release delivers enhanced performance and management features to the MySQL community. By encouraging ongoing community participation and following the “release early, release often” model, we help shorten the feedback-to-delivery cycle and allow users to get faster access to improved product capabilities and quality.”
Oracle (oracle.com) engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Contact: Danielle Tarp, Blanc & Otus
P: +1 415-856-5182 - E: dtarp[.]blancandotus.com.