This year, iPAD DRC Mining and Infrastructure Indaba was held from October 9-11 at the Hotel Fleuve Congo in Kinshasa and welcomed over 450 participants from 23 countries; the Katanga Mining Briefing was held from 15 to 17 October 2013 at Grand Karavia in Lubumbashi with over 500 participants from 26 countries.
“These are the only two international platforms for DRC, drawing together the whole mining industry and stakeholders from the value chain. DRC is currently transforming its mining code, business regulation and climate, these platforms are crucial to the government and private sector. These are the think tanks which issues can be addressed in order to find and share solutions” said Mrs Nicole Smith, Director of the Conference and exhibition.
«This year, we basically hosted double the amount of participants. They particularly benefited from the networking meetings in Kinshasa and Lubumbashi that allowed for a better understanding of the industry and to know who is in this field. Lubumbashi’s outdoor exhibition turned out to be the highlight of the event, together with visits to mining sites Tenke Fungurume and MMG. Kinshasa’s conference was of a high level content and we received excellent feedback from both audience and speakers » stated Mrs Nicole Smith.
She added « we have been working collaboratively with mining companies and the government to ensure the success of these events and we wish to sincerely thank them all as well as our sponsors, through which these events were successful. »
“This event is very important for our country where different parties can exchange information and conclude business” expressed the mining society Gécamines.
Next year will be the 10th annual event in Kinshasa and will be held from 21-23 October 2014. The 5th edition in Lubumbashi will be held from 28-30 October 2014.
Speakers/High level experts from the 2013 events:
iPAD DRC Mines and Infrastructures Indaba (Kinshasa):
• Vika di Panzu, Consultant in Energy and Director General of Katanga Energy, DRC
• His Excellency Mr Bruno KapandjiKalala, Minister of Energy and Hydraulic Resources, DRC
• Elia Mikael, Vice President Infrastructures, Ivanhoe Mines, Canada
• His Excellency Mr Daniel Mukoko Samba, Vice Prime Minister Budget, DRC
• Oscar Melhado, Country representative, IMF, DRC
• Mark Bristow, Director General, Randgold, United-Kingdom
iPAD Katanga Mining Briefing (Lubumbashi):
• His Excellency Mr Moise Katumbi Chapwe, Governor of the Katanga Province, DRC
• Claude Polet, Chief Excecutive, Tenke Fungurume Minerals, DRC
• Simon Tuma-Waku, Vice President in charge of the Mining Sector, FEC, DRC
• Andry Andriamiarisatrana, Associate Director, Tax Services, Ernst & Young, DRC
• Miles Naude, Administrator Kinsevere, MMG, DRC