• Power Conversion’s Technologies Promote Operational Efficiency;
• Customers Adopting Today’s Technologies Benefit from a Strong Competitive Edge;
• Technologies Save Fuel, Money, Maintenance Downtime and are Environmentally Friendly.
The making of today’s perfect storms results from a combination of the industries financial restraints and environmental responsibility coupled with the need to go further, deeper, faster in ever more challenging environments. Ship’s crews, captains, owners and operators weather these risks every day.
GE Power Conversion (NYSE: GE) experts and technologies are providing robust solutions to face the planet’s toughest challenges. They do this by understanding the operational environments their customers are at work in. Moreover, GE Power Conversion knows ships. Through taking a global holistic look at ships, the company has been able to improve its customers’ performance giving them a key competitive edge:
1. Power Generation At the heart of any ship is the power generation system that needs to be robust and efficient. This year, Power Conversion has unveiled its Variable Frequency Active Front-End power and propulsion system, or VF-AFE, which reduces fuel consumption, cuts emissions and lowers maintenance requirement. It is an example of a GE power system configuration that uses conventional components to produce unconventional systems smarter engineering at its best.
2. Propulsion Electric propulsion systems are inherently cleaner and more efficient than most other forms of propulsion. Whether it is full electric or a hybrid configuration, GE has experience and solutions to meet the challenges. The latest addition to GE’s propulsion family of products is the Inovelis pump jet-podded thruster a unique design optimized for efficient operations in transit mode and in DP mode.
3. Controls Ship automation systems are now built to incorporate Power Conversion’s Visor Asset Management system for data management and analysis in support of remote service and advanced diagnostic and prognostic capability on a fleet level. Visor Asset Management harnesses technology to advance the cause of ship and fleet optimization for improved overall availability and more efficient operational performance.
4. Positioning Launched in 2013, Power Conversion’s latest generation of dynamic position control system redefines DP with an advanced HMI, which returns ship control to the mariner. Skilled DP operators once again can focus on the task of ship handling and be freed from the constraints of complex computer interface.
5. Systems Paul English, marine vertical leader at Power Conversion acknowledges what he calls “The GE Advantage”: “At GE, we see the whole ship. That’s because we engineer and supply so much of it, from gas turbines and diesel engines to rotating machines, variable speed drives, drilling systems and automation and control. But it’s when we bring it all together to form integrated systems that the full synergies and harmonies in terms of operational efficiency and performance truly emerge.”
GE’s Power Conversion is meeting tomorrow’s challenges head on with some of the most innovative technologies thus far unveiled in 2013 powering, propelling and positioning the marine industry.
About GE Power Conversion
GE’s Power Conversion business (gepowerconversion.com) applies the science and systems of power conversion to help drive the electrification of the world’s energy infrastructure by designing and delivering advanced motor, drive and control technologies that evolve today’s industrial processes for a cleaner, more productive future. Serving specialized sectors such as energy, marine, oil and gas, renewables and industry, through customized solutions and advanced technologies, GE Power Conversion partners with customers to maximize efficiency.
GE (ge.com) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and curing the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works.
GE news, Masto Public Relations - E: information[.]mastopr.com.
Carsten Ritter, GE Power Conversion, Communications
P: +49(0)307 622 3173 - E: carsten.ritter[.]ge.com.