Founded in 2010 by the Specialist Media Show, the Media Pioneer Awards celebrate innovation and the entrepreneurial spirit of specialist media markets across print, web, mobile, social and events.
Launched in February as part of an exclusive partnership with the Press Association, Football Week is a digital football magazine with the up-to-the-second flexibility of a website but the design and packaging of a digital edition. Substantial development work to Future’s own proprietary app creation software, FutureFolio, has enabled Football Week to be Future’s first iPad magazine to embellish editorial content with live feeds.
Awards judges said Football Week is “really pushing the boundaries of what we consider a magazine to be, and in a highly competitive sector. With live feeds it is always up-to-date, and readers can personalise their magazine by selecting one of 20 different “tribes” to get customised covers and content. Adept use of social media has helped it grow to be the number one free sports mag on Newsstand, and secure new commercial partners.”
Gregor MacGregor, Editor of Football Week, says,“The teams at Future and the Press Association have worked long and hard to make Football Week a truly innovative, best-in-class digital edition and this award is recognition of that. Our audience loves the unique blend of Premier League editorial, datatorial, curated and live content and it’s brilliant to see the judges agree with them! 1-0 to Football Week!”
Tony Watson, Managing Director of the Press Association, says,“We are delighted that Football Week has been recognised by the industry for its innovation and design. The product combines Future’s great design and product development capabilities with PA’s fantastic wealth of football content and market knowledge. We are looking forward to working with our partner in further evolving Football Week and developing a range of other exciting product ideas.”
About Future plc
• Future plc is an international media group and leading digital publisher, listed on the London Stock Exchange (symbol: FUTR).
• We have operations in the UK, US and Australia creating 200 publications, apps, websites and events.
• We hold market-leading positions in Technology, Entertainment, Guitar, Creative, Sport and Auto sectors.
• We attract more than 50 million monthly global unique users to our websites, which include techradar.com, gamesradar.com, bikeradar.com and musicradar.com.
• Future sold more than 24 million magazines last year, that’s 45 magazines every minute. Our most well-known print brands include T3, Total Film, Cycling Plus and Official Xbox Magazine.
• We deliver over 100 digital editions, and have sold over three million products powered by our own app-creation software, FutureFolio.
• Future exports or syndicates over 200 publications to over 90 countries, making us the UK’s number one exporter and licensor of magazine content.
• Future is currently Consumer Digital Publisher of the Year for both the Association of Online Publishers and the Professional Publishers Association.
About FutureFolio (futurefolio.co.uk)
Built for publishers by publishers, FutureFolio is a flexible digital publishing tool that enables publishers to reproduce or enhance existing print content digitally so that it can be optimised for tablet and smartphone consumption quickly, easily and with the minimum of stress. Future has been in the content creation business for over 25 years and understand the workflow, staffing and budget constraints of publishers. FutureFolio was built to work with all these factors in mind and is the software platform for a range of leading interactive Tablet magazines including MacLife, Total Film, Edge, CyclingNews HD and Photography Week
About Press Association
The Press Association (pressassociation.com) is the UK’s leading multimedia news agency and digital content supplier.
As well as being the home of the UK’s national newswire which supplies news to national and regional newspapers, magazines and broadcasters the Press Association has evolved as a provider of tailored multi-media content solutions for a broad range of businesses, brands and public sector organisations. PA’s products and services span everything from sports data APIs, hosted live blogs, and social media content to media training, page production services and TV listings.
The Press Association is part of PA Group Limited, a private company with 27 shareholders, most of whom are national and regional newspaper publishers. The biggest shareholders are Associated Newspaper Holdings Limited, News International plc, Trinity Mirror plc and United Business Media plc.