NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Jerusalem, Israel, 2007/01/03 - Bold plans cover not just restoration of the Dead Sea, but greening the deserts, providing clean cheap energy, and desalination.
Currently the plan to restore the Dead Sea is a Red to Dead Sea Canal/pipeline. World Bank officials recently met with Jordanian officials and reported that they already solicited substantial funds for the feasibility study from donor countries and will attempt to secure the remaining funds from other donor countries. This plan is of great import for development of southwestern Jordan. It will provide sufficient desalinated water to sustain numerous new communities in this region as well as to establish a vast agricultural area. It will also bring water to the Dead Sea Chemical works as they need more water for their evaporation ponds. There may be problems with this plan, perhaps not insurmountable. The major obstacle is finding some way to make this canal and pipeline able to resist earthquakes, as the entire route of the canal/pipeline is on the Syria-African fault.
Global Village proposes an alternative – tunnel waterways directly from the Mediterranean to the Dead Sea.
Our Dead Sea Tunnel Plan was submitted to Israel’s Ministry of Infrastructure about two years ago and to the World Bank for consideration. The plan proposes new tunneling technology to create a number of 10 meter wide tunnels. The existing technology perfected in Norway is Tunnel Boring Machines. A typical large TBM machine 12 feet in diameter can sustain a pace of about 25 meters a day. That means for a hundred kilometer (100,000 meter) dig (using 12 machines in 12 segments of eight kilometers each) the project could be done within roughly a year. We propose starting the tunnel below sea level at Ashkelon so that the water pressure at points along the tunnel equals not just the pressure of the downward drop, but the actual sea pressure to the surface. The pressure alone can force water through reverse osmosis membranes for cheap desalination at points along the route, as well as provide for cheap electricity by hydro-electric generators along the way.
Cheap desalination and electricity utilizing the 400 meter drop, is an unprecedented opportunity for reversing desertification or greening the desert to counteract global warming. Global Village sees a logical progression of steps needed and has written 14 detailed individual business plans which delineate each step, the cost and how to make it economically feasible.
• Global Village Phase 1 details plans for cheap desalination and clean energy.
• Global Village Phase 2 proposes a creative approach to greening the desert with forests and permaculture farms.
• Global Village Phase 3 proposes designs of desert architecture and planned communities including monolithic domes and infrastructure of desert communities.
• Assisted Emigrations Business Plan addresses the issue of population relocation. As habitable deserts create a new frontier, the movement of populations into these regions requires a careful analytic approach.
• Homestead Business Plan details a creative approach to and systematic settlement.
• Cresthaven Business Plan offers assisted living communities catering to the elderly or infirm.
• Cowboy Sam’s Pheasant Farm introduces the concept of raising new foodstuffs, such as pheasant. On the more exotic side, there are eland, bison, deer, elk, pigeons and dove. Eland has been the subject of special studies by the FAO and are particularly suited to desert regions.
• Cowboy Sam’s Wild West Ranch details vacation resorts in these regions. Specific to the Dead Sea, we have also proposed state of the art spas along the Dead Sea combined into a medical resort.
• Tunnel Transport Business Plan proposes transportation innovation for both movements of freight and passengers as tunneling technology is perfected and numerous new communities are created.
• Unconventional Energy Technologies Business Plan proposes numerous solutions and new technologies to combat the continued threat and proliferation of power plants without carbon gasses capture and alternatives to petroleum fuels.
• Deep Gas Tunneling Technologies addresses the dwindling supply of fuels.
• Naissance Health Business Plan recommends providing pre and post natal clinics worldwide.
• Sanguine Technologies Business Plan applies micro and nanotechnology to health innovation.
• Pelebeeper as a spin off business offers a world wide multi-lingual answering service.
Most of these plans were already submitted to the World Bank and other sources for funding and to Israeli Ministries for approvals. Israel is the logical location for the making the prototype of each plan. It is a country which transformed an arid wasteland to greenery. It is a country that has successfully absorbed millions of refugees and established numerous new communities. Israel is the fourth largest high tech startup area in the World. Israeli companies have pioneered numerous innovations in healthcare and bio-medical inventions. This land, specifically, is being restored after many centuries of extreme abuse. In Biblical times, the mountains of Judea and Samaria were heavily forested in oak and other trees. The northern Negev was cultivated in almonds and other orchards. The area between Arad and Sdeh Boker was famous in ancient times for its wines. There were forests in parts of the Negev and even the Sinai. All that can be “Resurrected”. It would truly be a prototype for the rest of the world, with variations, of course, to suit local conditions and cultures.
Critical Significance of this project
Why is it essential to develop the technologies needed to live in a wasteland?
To prevent the Earth from becoming one.