Targeted attacks, i.e. those that are purpose-built to hit specific objectives; vulnerabilities in system software, and the online fraud, especially, the criminal use of junk mail, such as phishing, will once again play a leading role. Obviously, the common denominator of these attacks will once again be financial profit.
“In 2007, we are likely to see cyber-crooks perfecting their methods yet further. The design and programming of phishing techniques, for example, will improve in order to counter improvements in the corresponding security systems. On the other hand, we will probably see more malicious code with rootkit functions in order to infiltrate computers unnoticed,” explains Luis Corrons, director of PandaLabs.
PandaLabs also predicts advances in social engineering, in particular with respect to spam, bearing in mind that in the last months of 2006, junk mail was widely used to boost stock prices or even to affect election results.
“Targeted attacks will be one of the major threats in 2007,” adds Corrons. “Many criminals identify specific targets, such as the users of certain online banks or services. They then create purpose-built malicious code which is distributed to just a few selected users. The aim is to go undetected by security companies so that no antidote will be created.”
Vulnerability exploits are another factor to consider. Cyber-crooks will try to exploit the time between the discovery of a vulnerability and the release of the corresponding patch by developers. Hackers will try to identify unknown security problems in all types of commonly-used applications.
“In general, the malware panorama for the coming year is worrying. The solution however involves using the technological tools available. One of the most appropriate measures is to use proactive technologies that can detect malware intuitively, unlike traditional antivirus solutions”, concludes Luis Corrons.
All users that want to know whether their computers have been attacked by these or other malicious code can use ActiveScan, the free, online solution available. This allows users to thoroughly scan their computers if they suspect they have been infected.
Since 1990, PandaLabs’ mission has been to analyze new threats as soon as possible to ensure that our clients are safe. Several teams specialized in each specific type of malware (viruses, worms, Trojans, spyware, phishing, spam, etc.) work 24x7 to offer global coverage. To do this they are supported by TruPrevent™ Technologies, a truly global early warning system made up of sensors that are strategically distributed and neutralize new threats and send them to PandaLabs for in-depth analysis. According to AV-Test.org, PandaLabs is the fastest in the industry to offer complete updates.
About Panda Software
Panda Software is a leading developer and provider of integrated security solutions to combat viruses, hackers, Trojans, spyware, phishing, spam and other Internet threats. With its state-of-the-art TruPrevent™ Technologies, Panda Software's innovative solutions offer a higher return on investment by keeping customers protected, even against new threats which have not yet been identified.
Link to Panda Software and start earning commission today!
Be a part of our success! When you join the Panda Software Affiliate Program, you're partnering with one of the world leaders in managed internet security solutions. If you have a website, you can earn up to 30% commission on the sale of our multi award-winning online services and products:
1. Panda Internet Security 2007. A complete solution that protects your PC against identity theft, viruses, spyware, spam, hackers and other Internet-borne threats.
2. Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2007. Maximum automatic protection against all types of viruses, spyware and hackers. It also ensures you have double protection with TruPrevent? Technologies.
3. Panda Antivirus 2007. Extremely light easy-to-use protection against all types of viruses and spyware. Just install and forget.
4. DesktopSecure for Linux. Panda DesktopSecure for Linux is the ideal solution for computers running Linux. It is designed to respond to the specific protection demands of home computers, both laptops and PCs, running this operating system.
5. ActiveScan Pro. Online disinfection of all types of viruses, spyware and other Internet threats. A perfect additional tool operating directly from your browser and always up-to-date which can detect even the very latest malicious code.