The South African packaging industry recorded significant growth during the review period due to an increase in consumer expenditure on food and a rising demand from end-user markets like food and beverages, pharmaceuticals and personal care products. During the review period, the industry posted a CAGR 6.05% to reach a market value of US$6.6 billion in 2011. Of the end-user markets, the food and beverages market is expected to generate the most business for the industry. In addition, the rising demand for pharmaceuticals and personal care products is also aiding packaging industry growth. Other factors that will affect the South African packaging industry over the forecast period are the population’s changing lifestyles, cheaper imports due to low excise duty, technological advancements, recycling trends, and a structural shift from plastics to glass. Over the forecast period, the South African packaging industry is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.62% to reach a market value of US$9 billion in 2016.
Key highlights of this title:
• In terms of market size, paper and board packaging accounted for the largest share of the domestic packaging industry revenue of US$2.4 billion in 2011, representing 35.8% of the total packaging industry.
• Active and smart packaging has been gaining popularly in the South African food and beverages industry. Companies use active packaging to preserve the quality and extend the shelf life of packaged food.
• The highly competitive South African packaging industry registered several mergers and acquisitions during the review period. Leading companies adopted this strategy in order to strengthen their position in the local market.
• The most widely used pharmaceutical packaging forms are cartons, blisters, tubes, ampoules, envelopes and strips, and within the market, plastic and metal blister packaging is used more frequently than glass bottles.
• This report provides a comprehensive analysis of the packaging industry in South Africa
• It provides historical values for South Africa’s packaging industry for the report’s 2007–2011 review period and forecast figures for the 2012–2016 forecast period
• It offers a detailed analysis of the key categories in South Africa’s packaging industry, along with market forecasts until 2016
• It covers an exhaustive summary on the key trends and drivers affecting the end-user markets in packaging
• Using Porter’s industry-standard “Five Forces” analysis, it details the competitive landscape in South Africa for the packaging industry
• It outlines current regulatory framework in the industry.
• Make strategic business decisions using top-level historic and forecast market data related to the South African packaging industry and each category within it
• Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities within the South African packaging industry
• Assess the competitive dynamics in the packaging industry
• Identify the growth opportunities and industry dynamics within five key packaging categories
• Gain insights into key regulations governing the South African packaging industry.
Product code: PK0045MR
BRICdata (bricdata.com) specializes in the provision of strategic intelligence on emerging markets that helps suppliers in developed markets identify, pursue and achieve growth opportunities.