SkyWave Mobile Communications, a global provider of wireless data communications for the Machine-to-Machine (M2M) market, today announced the introduction of the IP SCADA service to work with its IDP series terminals designed for low power, reliability and ease of installation. IP SCADA allows IP-based point-to-point satellite communication connections between small remote sites and SCADA systems where leased lines, GSM, RF or satellite backhaul communications are unavailable, unreliable or cost prohibitive.
For many SCADA networks, implementing a monitoring system that includes visibility of remote isolated sites is cost prohibitive or impossible. With IP SCADA for IsatData Pro, SCADA managers can now remotely connect and communicate with these sites seamlessly over satellite using an IP connection and without any special knowledge or handling of proprietary satellite protocols. There is no infrastructure investment, no antenna pointing, no large solar panels – all the things that make SCADA connectivity in remote areas laborious, cost prohibitive, and often impossible.
"From remote data acquisition to industrial process automation, IP SCADA provides ubiquitous coverage to users with an affordable communication tool to monitor sensors and implement processes in small sites where availability or costs associated with implementation of other technologies was just not viable before." said Jenn Markey, SkyWave Director, Product Management and Marketing.
In the case of the Oil & Gas, Water or Wastewater industries, IP SCADA is often the only viable solution due to the remoteness and size of the sites. Providing effective quantitative measurement of processes, detecting and correcting problems, and assessing trends at smaller sites enables the diagnosis of problems at the Network Operations Center (NOC); often eliminating the need to dispatch a technician. No longer are site alarms and events related to power outages, critically low battery, high temperature or flooding left unchecked thereby avoiding the site going out of commission and compromising the larger critical infrastructure network, resulting in significant costs and potentially penalties.
IP SCADA advantages include:
• Plug & play: Provides IP-based connection to existing virtual private networks (VPN) already implemented for existing infrastructure.
Infrastructure: No need for capital investment in RF infrastructure for private radio networks.
Coverage: With uniform and global satellite coverage, any site around the globe can use IP SCADA. No need to worry about cellular coverage, RF repeaters or quality of service.
• Low power consumption: IsatData Pro terminals have power consumption for unsolicited exception messages that average less than half a watt of power, eliminating the need to invest in large, expensive solar panels at unpowered sites.
• Low total cost of ownership: IsatData Pro terminal and airtime packages are the lowest cost SCADA option when compared to similar market solutions. As well, the compact omnidirectional antenna reduces average install time, errors and cost by avoiding a satellite pointing procedure.
• Safety and environmental protection: IsatData Pro terminals have IP67 rating and can be installed outside without additional protective coverings. For many hazardous installations, Class I Division 2 (C1D2) certification is an additional benefit.
• Temperature range: Designed for operation across broad temperature ranges, IsatData Pro terminals can operate in some of the world’s most extreme environments.
• Programmable terminals: With intelligent control and Modbus, IsatData Pro terminals with the IP SCADA service can be used as RTU replacements for sites that monitor analog or digital sensors or connect directly to existing RTUs.
Typical applications for IP SCADA include: Remote Data Acquisition, Wireless Meter Reading, Building Management, Automation, Safety and Security, Industrial Process Automation for Oil and Gas, Environmental and Utilities.
SkyWave Mobile Communications (skywave.com) is a global provider of wireless data communications for the Machine-to-Machine (M2M) market. SkyWave's products provide dependable communication, tracking, monitoring and remote management of fixed and mobile assets. Over the past 15 years, SkyWave has designed, manufactured and shipped more than 450,000 Inmarsat-based satellite terminals to customers globally in the transportation, maritime, oil and gas, utilities and government sectors.