NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Raleigh, NC, United States, 2012/05/18 - Bland Landscaping, a full-service residential and commercial landscaping company in Apex, NC, has received two sustainability in business awards.
Bland Landscaping, a full-service residential and commercial landscaping company, is pleased to announce it has received two sustainability in business awards. The company is the recipient of the 2012 Smith Seal of North Carolina Sustainable Business Award from the Greater Raleigh Chamber’s Pinnacle Awards and the 2012 Market Transformation Award from the City of Raleigh’s Environmental Awards.
Bland Landscaping is being recognized for its work to reduce the environmental impact of its operations and for its efforts to give back to the community and employees, all while maintaining a profitable business.
“We are honored to receive these two sustainability awards,” said Kurt Bland, President of Bland Landscaping. “We are always looking for better techniques and technologies that will help us reduce the environmental impact of our business and the services we offer. Our company is stronger because of our commitment to the community and the environment.”
The company will receive the Smith Seal of North Carolina Sustainable Business Award on May 22nd at the 28th annual Greater Raleigh Chamber’s Pinnacle Business Awards event. The award recognizes the company for sustainable business practices incorporated into daily operations. Held in conjunction with National Small Business Week, the luncheon and awards ceremony will take place from 11 am. – 1:30 pm. at the Raleigh Convention Center.
On April 24th, Bland Landscaping received the Market Transformation Award at the fifth annual City of Raleigh Environmental Awards celebration. The award recognized the company for their exceptional efforts in making business decisions that lessen the company’s overall environmental impact. Approximately 300 people attended the event, which was held at the new Nature Research Center wing of the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences in downtown Raleigh.
Some examples of how the company has reduced its environmental impact and given back to the community include:
• Replaced blowers for more efficient models, annually saving 23,400 gallons of gasoline and 461,000 pounds of CO2. Based on today’s fuel prices, this comes to a savings of $85,000 per year.
• Converted company vehicles to biodiesel with an environmental savings of 121,636.05 pounds of CO2, 20.06% less hydrocarbons, and 20% less SO2
• Installed a 16,000-gallon rainwater cistern to capture rainwater from the roof, preventing erosion and saving gallons of potable water for other uses
• Implemented the Integrated Pest Management system to control insects and plant diseases on customer properties, reducing the need for harmful chemicals
• Committed to reducing insecticide use to only those on San Francisco Tier III list
• Purchased hybridized 4-mix engines that generate less noise than traditional 2-cycle engines, use fewer hydrocarbons, reduce fuel consumption, and save $40,000 annually
• Became one of the first Green Plus Certified companies in the nation
• Implemented a Lean Management system to support the adoption of sustainability initiatives
• Volunteering countless hours, pro bono services, materials, and financial contributions to non-profits and community service organizations.
About Bland Landscaping
Bland Landscaping (blandlandscaping.com) is a full-service residential and commercial landscaping company. For over 35 years, we have been an innovative leader in cultivating sustainable landscapes. We are passionate about using sound horticultural practices to keep your outdoor spaces safe and healthy. Our employees are highly trained and embody our core values of excellence, professionalism, progressiveness, honesty, and integrity. We are locally-owned and dedicated to improving the lives of those in our community.