• The authors are the same authors who, a few days ago, created a website with the same aim using children as a ruse.
• The aim is to gain credibility using the image of a real NGO and win over the confidence of potential “mules”.
PandaLabs informs that it has detected a new website designed to get “mules", using underprivileged children as a ruse. The authors of this attack are the same authors who a few days ago -- and as reported by PandaLabs -- created a website for an alleged NGO committed to helping children. However, this time they have gone a step further and spoofed the website of a real Argentine NGO to achieve their aims.
“It seems that the previous attack did not meet the expectations of these criminals and therefore, they have opted to use the image of a real NGO to win over users’ confidence more easily,” says Luis Corrons, director of PandaLabs. He adds, “However, it shows just how unscrupulous its authors are, as they do not care if they harm organizations that are truly committed to helping underprivileged children."
The criminals have sent email messages offering an exceptionally well-paid job, working only a few hours a day. The message also includes a link that when clicked, accesses the spoofed website.
What these criminals are really looking for is a “mule”, that is, someone to launder stolen money in exchange for a commission. To do this, the fraudsters deposit money in the “mule’s” bank account and the “mule" must send it to certain addresses specified by the fraudsters.
By doing this, the “mule" not only launders the stolen money but also acts as a scapegoat, who the authorities will go after when the theft is discovered.
“As a rule of thumb, users should never take any notice of messages that offer jobs or extremely simple and lucrative business opportunities, whatever they might be. It is clear that cyber-criminals will stop at nothing, and therefore, users should take all precautions possible,” concludes Luis Corrons.
Panda Software recommends all users to delete any messages of this type that reach their inboxes. What’s more, they advise users not to provide any personal details that could be used for criminal activities.
Since 1990, PandaLabs’ mission has been to analyze new threats as soon as possible to ensure that our clients are safe. Several teams specialized in each specific type of malware (viruses, worms, Trojans, spyware, phishing, spam, etc.) work 24x7 to offer global coverage. To do this they are supported by TruPrevent™ Technologies, a truly global early warning system made up of sensors that are strategically distributed and neutralize new threats and send them to PandaLabs for in-depth analysis. According to AV-Test.org, PandaLabs is the fastest in the industry to offer complete updates.
About Panda Software
Panda Software is a leading developer and provider of integrated security solutions to combat viruses, hackers, Trojans, spyware, phishing, spam and other Internet threats. With its state-of-the-art TruPrevent™ Technologies, Panda Software's innovative solutions offer a higher return on investment by keeping customers protected, even against new threats which have not yet been identified.
Link to Panda Software and start earning commission today!
Be a part of our success! When you join the Panda Software Affiliate Program, you're partnering with one of the world leaders in managed internet security solutions. If you have a website, you can earn up to 30% commission on the sale of our multi award-winning online services and products:
1. Panda Internet Security 2007. A complete solution that protects your PC against identity theft, viruses, spyware, spam, hackers and other Internet-borne threats.
2. Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2007. Maximum automatic protection against all types of viruses, spyware and hackers. It also ensures you have double protection with TruPrevent? Technologies.
3. Panda Antivirus 2007. Extremely light easy-to-use protection against all types of viruses and spyware. Just install and forget.
4. DesktopSecure for Linux. Panda DesktopSecure for Linux is the ideal solution for computers running Linux. It is designed to respond to the specific protection demands of home computers, both laptops and PCs, running this operating system.
5. ActiveScan Pro. Online disinfection of all types of viruses, spyware and other Internet threats. A perfect additional tool operating directly from your browser and always up-to-date which can detect even the very latest malicious code.