NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
London, Greater London, United Kingdom, 2012/03/20 - The market for private label products in India is still in its nascent stages and accounted for just 0.41% of the overall retail market in 2011 - BRICdata.com.
The Indian retail market is highly fragmented and primarily consists of unorganized outlets such as ‘kirana’ (mom & pop) stores. It is expected that organized retail is going to undergo a period of growth over the forecast period. Retailers entered the Indian private labels market by providing staples such as food and beverage products. The positive growth potential of these categories convinced many retailers to enter the personal care market in 2009. The main growth strategy of Indian retailers is to provide consumers with national brands as a trust exercise; as such brands provide a level of quality and assurance to consumers, who are then offered private labels as a discounted alternative. The Future Group recruited national sports icon, Sachin Tendulkar, to create a sub-brand named ‘Sach’. In this way, the Group expects to attain national recognition with some consumers and an emotional connection with others. This is the first instance of private label product endorsement in the Indian market. Growth in private labels has resulted in several conflicts between retailers and national brands, owing to issues such as margins, displays and shelf space. Retailers are more inclined to push the sales of private label products as they offer greater profit margins.
Key highlights of this title:
• The market for private label products in India is still in its early stages and comprised 0.57% of the overall retail market in 2011.
• Private label penetration began in the mid-2000s when retailers established organized retail format stores across the country.
• Organized retail occupies a small percentage of the overall retail market in India. Traditional forms of retail, such as neighborhood ‘kirana’ stores, dominate the market.
• The most widely used private label products were cereals, pulses and spices. This was followed by packaged food products and fruits and vegetables.
• In 2011, Spencer's Retail revamped its business strategy to focus on the young, urban population. In these terms they are repositioning themselves as an affordable, luxury retailer.
• The Future Group launched its new private label brand, ‘Sach’, in 2009 with the Sach branded toothbrush, which was followed by Sach branded toothpaste in March 2010. The group tied up with the national sports icon, Sachin Tendulkar, to co-creating this sub-brand.
• This report provides a comprehensive analysis of the private label market within the consumer packaged goods industry in India
• It provides an overview of key global markets for private label
• It provides comparison of private label market share in India with Asian countries and with the key global markets
• It provides historical share for Indian private label market for the report’s 2007–2011 review period and forecast figures for the 2012–2016 forecast period
• It highlights the consumer, business and economic factors driving the private label market in India
• It covers a summary on the key challenges facing the private label market in India
• It details the business strategies of private label brands by retail store formats
• It discusses the key emerging product strategies in the Indian private label market
• It compares the pricing strategy adopted for private label products in key categories
• It outlines the future outlook for the Indian private label market
• It profiles the major retailers in the private label market in India.
• Make strategic business decisions using top-level historic and forecast market data related to the Indian private label market
• Understand the key consumer, business and economic trends within the Indian private label market
• Gain insights in to the strategies adopted by retailers in different product categories and also across different retail formats
• Gain insights in to the challenges facing the Indian private label market
• Gain insights into the upcoming trends in the Indian private label market.
Product code: RT0102MR
BRICdata (BRICdata.com) specializes in the provision of strategic intelligence on emerging markets that helps suppliers in developed markets identify, pursue and achieve growth opportunities.