Rovi Corporation today unveiled TotalGuide G2, a second-generation, unified entertainment discovery and access solution for consumer electronics (CE) manufacturers. The newly architected solution is expected to enable CE manufacturers to define and market differentiated products that help enrich the entertainment experience for consumers, drive product usage and satisfaction, and generate new streams of revenue.
TotalGuide G2 will bring together a comprehensive range of Rovi technologies and services such as multimedia rich and deeply descriptive entertainment data, personalized search and recommendations, multi-source video access and control, and interactive advertising. The latest solution will use social media commentary to enhance entertainment discovery and enjoyment, provide new access to high-quality original web programming including short-form content, and enable easy integration of third-party over-the-top digital entertainment storefronts – including services powered by Rovi Entertainment Store such as Best Buy CinemaNow.
"The home entertainment transformation is resulting in consumer access to more content; however, it is also exacerbating an old problem of how to quickly find something meaningful among the near infinite sources available," said Corey Ferengul, executive vice president of products, Rovi. "Expanding on our vision of integrated discovery and enjoyment, TotalGuide G2 is designed to help our customers deliver distinct market solutions that make sense of what might otherwise be disparate content sources and environments. At the same time, TotalGuide G2 is flexible enough to enable manufacturers to deliver an entertainment experience that's unique to them."
Using functionality delivered through Rovi Cloud Services, TotalGuide G2 will allow manufacturers to easily configure a feature set and custom user interface, based on either HTML or Flash, that's unique to them and meets the specific needs of a product line or target device. Lightweight and planned to be integration ready for a broad range of connected platforms, TotalGuide G2 is expected to help manufacturers enrich their products to provide users with deeply engaging entertainment experiences that expose them to the full-range of content available on their devices.
Highly customizable and implemented on top of common consumer electronics technologies such as CE-HTML, HTML 5, and Adobe Air, TotalGuide G2 is expected to include:
• Rovi Multi-Source Entertainment Guides - Enables access to a broad variety of content from a range of sources: Over-the-top video content including EST/VOD retailers, subscription services, movie trailers and more; linear broadcast television content from over-the-air sources, as well as cable, satellite or IPTV content providers;
• Social Discovery - Enables access to social discovery features such as Twitter mentions and trending information, as well as Facebook likes and recommendations;
• Mobile Application Integration - Enables control and enhancement of the discovery and enjoyment experience with tablet and smart phone applications;
• DVR Control – Enables recording and scheduling of broadcast television content from a unified User Interface or companion device;
• Rovi Data Service - Provides real-time and up-to-date access to the extensive amount of entertainment metadata from Rovi, including information and multimedia content covering movies, television and music as well as celebrity, sports and other information that makes the discovery experience useful and engaging for the consumer;
• Rovi Search Service - Combines powerful algorithms, rich metadata, and a user-centric design approach to provide better accuracy and relevant search capability with filtered, predictive and highly personalized results;
• Rovi Recommendations Service - Offers various recommendations types, such as item-based, filtered, popular, new content, personalized, editorial, community and others, which helps to drive entertainment sales and consumption;
• Rovi Management Services - A set of user profile, device, and event management services as well as reporting and analytics capabilities that can be paired with the other web services to support user personalization in a seamless experience;
• Rovi Web Video Service - Enables access to professionally produced web video content from thousands of content producers around the world;
• Rovi Advertising Service - Allows CE manufacturers to potentially create recurring revenue streams by delivering interactive advertising on platform, as well as through content partnerships and sponsored search and recommendations.
In addition to offering a broad range of componentized capabilities, Rovi TotalGuide G2 will be able to integrate with Rovi Entertainment Store, the company's end-to-end, white-label solution for digital storefront creation and management.
TotalGuide G2 is expected to be available in Q2 2012. Rovi will be hosting demonstrations of TotalGuide G2 (along with a full complement of new and existing solutions helping fuel the industry's transition to IP-based entertainment) during the Consumer Electronics Show 2012. Meetings are by appointment, January 10-13, 2012, at Caesars Palace.
About Rovi Corporation
Rovi Corporation (rovicorp.com) is focused on revolutionizing the digital entertainment landscape by delivering solutions that enable consumers to intuitively connect to new entertainment from many sources and locations. The company also provides extensive entertainment discovery solutions for television, movies, music and photos to its customers in the consumer electronics, cable and satellite, entertainment and online distribution markets. These solutions, complemented by industry leading entertainment data, create the connections between people and technology, and enable them to discover and manage entertainment in an enjoyable form.
Rovi holds approximately 5,100 issued or pending patents worldwide and is headquartered in Santa Clara, California, with numerous offices across the United States and around the world including Japan, China, Luxembourg, and the United Kingdom.
Forward Looking Statements
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words "will" or "is expected to," or similar words that describe the Company's or its management's future plans, objectives, or goals, are "forward-looking statements" and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of the Company to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in the Company's most recent report on Form 10-Q for the period ended September 30, 2011 and such other documents as are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time (available at sec.gov/). The Company assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law.