• The origin of the new Briz.R Trojan is related to the scam of creating and selling customized versions of Briz detected and dismantled by PandaLabs a few months ago.
• TruPrevent™ Technologies have detected and blocked Briz.R without needing to identify it first, so computers with these technologies installed are immune to attacks from Briz.R from the outset.
PandaLabs has detected the appearance of the new Briz.R Trojan. This Trojan allows an attacker to gain remote control of affected computers and redirect users to spoofed web pages designed to steal confidential data.
The origin of Briz.R is related to the scam of creating and selling customized versions of Briz detected and dismantled by PandaLabs a few months ago. According to Luis Corrons, director of PandaLabs; “after inspecting this new Trojan's code, we are almost certain that this is the creation of the author that designed the first Briz Trojan. It seems that, as the customized Trojans business could not go ahead, the author has decided to use them directly to gain financial profit.”
Briz.R can reach computers through any means, including web pages, downloads of suspicious programs, etc. However, the author has not distributed it widely in order to try to avoid detection by security companies.
The Briz.R attack begins with the installation of a file called iexplore.exe, which serves to detect whether there is an Internet connection. If it detects a connection, it downloads another file called ieschedule.exe, which stores the configuration parameters of the Trojan, such as the port number through which it will send the information stolen.
Another component downloaded is ieserver.exe, which creates a web server on the computer. The function of this web server is to redirect the user to spoofed web pages, designed to steal personal data, when the user tries to access certain web addresses. Many of these web pages belong to online financial services. If the user enters data in the spoofed pages, the Trojan will steal it and send it to the cyber criminal.
This web server also allows the attacker to gain remote control of the affected computer. It does this by installing an application programmed in PHP called phpRemoteView.
Briz.R also downloads a component called smss.exe, which modifies the system hosts file. These modifications prevent access to a large number of web pages related to IT security.
TruPrevent™ proactive protection technologies have detected and blocked Briz.R without needing to be able to identify it first, and therefore, without needing the updates. For this reason, computers with these technologies installed have been protected from the moment this threat first appeared.
“There has been a marked increase in the number of malicious code like Briz.R, which are designed to go unnoticed by users and security companies alike, with the latter unable to generate vaccines as they are unaware of its existence. This problem needs to be resolved with technological solutions. Traditional antiviruses are no longer sufficient, and must be complemented with proactive technologies, able to detect the presence of malware with no need for updates,” adds Corrons.
To help as many users as possible scan and disinfect their systems, Panda Software offers its free, online anti-malware solution, Panda ActiveScan, which now also detects spyware.
About Panda Software
Panda Software is a leading developer and provider of integrated security solutions to combat viruses, hackers, Trojans, spyware, phishing, spam and other Internet threats. With its state-of-the-art TruPrevent™ Technologies, Panda Software's innovative solutions offer a higher return on investment by keeping customers protected, even against new threats which have not yet been identified. PandaLabs, the fastest laboratory in the industry in releasing complete updates to users, provides 24x7, year round response to malware worldwide. Panda Software’s centrally managed security solutions protect servers, gateways and endpoints, ensuring an effective and simple-to-use line of defense against Internet threats for enterprises, small and medium-sized businesses and home users. Panda’s solutions are backed by an expert team of technical support service professionals in each of the countries in which the company is present. Technical support services are available on a 24X7 basis.
Link to Panda Software and start earning commission today!
Be a part of our success! When you join the Panda Software Affiliate Program, you're partnering with one of the world leaders in managed internet security solutions. If you have a website, you can earn up to 30% commission on the sale of our multi award-winning online services and products:
1. Panda Internet Security 2007. A complete solution that protects your PC against identity theft, viruses, spyware, hackers and other Internet-borne threats.
2. Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2007. Maximum automatic protection against all types of viruses, spyware and hackers. It also ensures you have double protection with TruPrevent? Technologies.
3. Panda Antivirus 2007. Extremely light easy-to-use protection against all types of viruses and spyware. Just install and forget.
4. DesktopSecure for Linux. Panda DesktopSecure for Linux is the ideal solution for computers running Linux. It is designed to respond to the specific protection demands of home computers, both laptops and PCs, running this operating system.
5. ActiveScan Pro. Online disinfection of all types of viruses, spyware and other Internet threats. A perfect additional tool operating directly from your browser and always up-to-date which can detect even the very latest malicious code.