Manage virtual machines on the go with Parallels Mobile app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, easily bring physical machines into virtual machines and enjoy enhanced management capabilities
At the Virtualization Conference & Expo, Parallels® today announced Parallels Workstation 6 (parallels.com/workstation), a new version of its PC virtualization software that lets users run multiple operating systems at the same time on a single Windows or Linux PC. It leverages strengths of the No. 1 selling Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac software to provide PC users with the power and flexibility to seamlessly work across virtual machines (VMs) running multiple guest operating systems (OSs) and the host operating system, making it ideal for a number of user scenarios including testing Windows 8 environments. Parallels Workstation 6 is the only PC virtualization solution that empowers users to remotely access and run all of their VMs from anywhere, thanks to the Parallels Mobile app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. With certification across more than 25 major Linux distributions and Windows editions, Parallels Workstation 6 lets users automate routine tasks and focus on the project at hand, not the virtualization software.
“Today’s IT professionals, designers and developers need to be able to work on-the-fly and automate routine tasks in order to simplify workflow and improve productivity, whether they use a PC or a Mac,” said Parallels Vice President of Marketing Kim Johnston. “Parallels Workstation 6 and the No. 1 selling Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac respectively transform their PCs and Macs into one-stop labs, allowing IT professionals to work in and move between multiple environments – from Windows 8 to Ubuntu – when developing and testing software, and to access and control their virtual machines and programs from anywhere via an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch with Parallels Mobile.”
Perfect for Web designers, IT professionals and application developers, as well as quality assurance testers, Parallels Workstation 6 and Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac (parallels.com/desktop) include Parallels Transporter, which lets users easily move physical machines into a virtual environment. Parallels Workstation 6 also brings Parallels’ popular Coherence mode to the PC, enabling users to seamlessly blend host and guest operating systems to simply access and run programs in their VMs. For companies already using Parallels Desktop for Mac, they can easily move their existing VMs from the Mac to Parallels Workstation on the PC.
“Parallels is a developer's dream for running Windows 8 and other OSs to build and test programs efficiently. Plus, being able to control both PC and Mac Parallels VMs on multiple computers with Parallels Mobile on my iPad and iPhone from anywhere just plain rocks. The addition of Parallels Workstation 6 to the Parallels family is great news for my PC developer friends!,” said web developer Michael Zimmerman.
Parallels Workstation 6 delivers a host of new features for PC users including:
• Tested and certified on more than 25 major Windows editions and Linux distributions;
• Controlled Native Execution (CNE) takes advantage of legacy hardware, providing virtualization without hardware-assisted support;
• Faster VMs with Intel VT-x2 support.
• USB smart connections remember assignments and automatically connect to appropriate VM;
• Easily configure networking profiles across virtual machines for users moving between physical locations;
• Allows for drag-and-drop and copy-and-paste between VMs;
• Integrate applications from multiple VMs onto the host desktop for easy access;
• Automates routine administration tasks to reduce configuration time and simplify mobility.
• Remotely start, stop and reset VMs via the Parallels Management Console;
• Access VMs and their applications while on the go with the Parallels Mobile app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch;
• Easily convert physical and virtual environments into Parallels Workstation VMs with Parallels Transporter;
• Automatically encrypt VMs for privacy and security.
Availability and Pricing
Parallels Workstation 6 is available immediately from parallels.com. The standard retail price (SRP) of Parallels Workstation 6 is $79.99, and a student edition is available for $39.99. For a limited time, special pricing of $49.99 is available both for customers using earlier versions of Parallels Workstation or Parallels Desktop for Windows and Linux. The product is currently available in US English language only.
The Parallels Mobile app is available in the iTunes App Store with a $4.99 introductory price; the standard retail price is $19.99.
Parallels (parallels.com) is a worldwide leader in hosting and Cloud service enablement and desktop virtualization. Founded in 1999, Parallels is a fast-growing company with more than 800 employees in North America, Europe, and Asia.