WellMed has completed acquisitions of six primary care physician practices in five Texas communities, the company announced today.
Physicians at these practices, nearly all of whom are fluent in Spanish and English, have joined the WellMed Medical Group and their offices have been re-branded as WellMed clinics. They have begun to treat Medicare-eligible seniors utilizing the WellMed Care Model, which independent, federally funded research shows is successful in improving health outcomes for seniors, and helping them to live longer.
Financial terms were not disclosed. With these new acquisitions, WellMed now operates 37 senior-focused clinics in Texas, and another four along the Treasure Coast of Florida. The company expects to announce another round of practice acquisitions by year’s end.
The clinics and their healthcare providers are:
• WellMed at Taft (1115 Gregory, Taft, TX 78390 / Ph: 361.528.4000) – This is WellMed’s first Coastal Bend clinic outside Corpus Christi, located in Taft between Gregory and Sinton off U.S. Highway 181. Dr. Jose E. Benamu is the bilingual physician provider. A native of Peru where he also received his Medical Degree, Dr. Benamu is Board Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Before the WellMed acquisition, Dr. Benamu was in private practice for more than a dozen years.
• WellMed at Calallen (13725 Northwest Blvd., Suite 120, Corpus Christi, TX 78410 / Ph: 361-767-8956) – This is WellMed’s fourth Corpus Christi clinic, located in the Five Points area near the busy Interstate 37 - U.S. 77 interchange. Dr. Juan Sygal, former Chief of Staff at Northwest Regional Hospital, is the bilingual physician provider. He was a Research Fellow in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Genetics, at the University of Miami and Resident in Internal Medicine at Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center in New York City. He has been in private practice in the Corpus Christi area since 1998.
• WellMed at Esplanade (5826 Esplanade, Suite 303, Corpus Christi, TX 78414 / Ph: 361-991-7039) – This is WellMed’s fifth Corpus Christi clinic, located in the Esplanade Medical Plaza not far from Christus Spohn South Hospital. Dr. Burcham Fuqua is the physician provider. Dr. Fuqua, who is Board Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, has been practicing medicine in Corpus Christi since 1984. He earned his undergraduate degree from Princeton University and his Medical Degree from the UT Southwestern Medical School at Dallas. He has held several leadership positions in the Coastal Bend, including President of the American Heart Association (2004-05), Medical Director for XL Health of Texas (2001-05) and Associate Medical Director and Board of Directors, Nueces County Community Blood Bank (1986-88).
• WellMed at Springtown Way (200 Springtown Way #451, San Marcos, TX 78666 / Ph: 512-393-3325) – This is WellMed’s first location in Hays County, joining a growing contingent of Central Texas clinics. The bilingual physician provider is Dr. Alberto Santos III. Dr. Santos received his Master’s of Science in Biology from Southwest Texas State University (now Texas State) and earned his medical degree from the University of North Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, where he still serves as an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor. He is Board Certified by the American Osteopathic Board of Family Physicians. He has held several roles in medical staff leadership at Central Texas Medical Center, and is currently the Chair of the department of Family Medicine. Family Nurse Practioner Deb Burley, who has worked with Dr. Santos since 2009, will continue to serve patients at the clinic.
• WellMed at Ware Road (713 N. Ware Road, McAllen, TX 78501 / Ph: 956-682-8496) – This is the newest WellMed clinic in the Lower Rio Grande Valley and the first in McAllen. Dr. Luis G. San Miguel is the bilingual physician provider. Dr. San Miguel is Board Certified by the American Osteopathic Board of Family Physicians. He studied at the Kirksville (MO) College of Osteopathic Medicine, with an internship and residency at hospitals in Michigan. He has been in private practice since 1995, serving McAllen-area residents since 2000 at the San Miguel Family Medical Clinic.
• WellMed at Howard St. (505 Howard St., San Antonio, TX 78212 / Ph: 210-225-8904) – Formerly Howard Family Practice Associates, this is the 23rd WellMed clinic in the Greater San Antonio area. Dr. Raymond Hernandez is the bilingual physician provider. Dr. Hernandez, a San Antonio native and Jefferson High School graduate, earned his Medical Degree from Tulane University in 1963. He served as a Captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps before entering private practice in 1966. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Family Medicine. Dr. Hernandez has been a longtime physician leader in San Antonio, serving as Vice President of the Bexar County Medical Society (1978); President of the Alamo Chapter of the Texas Academy of Family Physicians (1977); Chairman of the Department of Family Practice at Baptist Memorial Hospital (1983) and Metropolitan Methodist Hospital (2000-01); and many other leadership roles.
WellMed Medical Management is a diversified healthcare company serving 90,000 patients in Texas and Florida, mostly Medicare-eligible seniors. WellMed is an industry leader in medical risk management, highly effective disease management and chronic care programs, healthcare delivery services, and more.
WellMed has been specializing in senior health care since 1990. With 40 medical clinics in Texas and Florida, and with supporting services for more than 3,000 independent physicians, the vision of the physician-led healthcare company is to change the face of healthcare delivery for seniors.