Top Primary Care Medical School and World-class Research Institution Relies on Quest to Improve Development, Administration and Analysis of Nearly 1,200 Crucial Databases
Consistently ranked as one of the nation’s leading medical schools for primary care education, the University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) embraces innovative information technology to support a wide range of top-notch education, research and healthcare delivery efforts. To that end, a group of 12 specialists within the IT department’s 50-person product support and technology group rely on Quest’s database management solutions to support more than 1,000 SQL Server databases, and more than 100 Oracle databases that drive mission-critical applications for the medical school and Commonwealth Medicine, the medical school’s health care consulting division.
• The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) has deployed complementary database management solutions from Quest Software to increase operational efficiencies, double IT staff productivity, and lower exposure to risks by reducing the time and effort required to manage mission-critical Oracle and SQL Server databases while improving accuracy.
• UMMS takes advantage of Quest’s leading productivity software, including Toad® for Oracle Xpert Edition and Toad® for SQL Server, to provide the medical school’s developers, administrators and database administrators (DBAs) with a simple, automated and consistent way to build, manage and maintain nearly 1,200 crucial databases that support vital enterprise-class business, facilities and ERP applications, including an Oracle-based international stem cell registry.
• An upgrade to Toad for Oracle 11 is under way so the medical school can fully utilize new capabilities, such as automated code analysis and task automation, across all managed databases to facilitate faster, easier code reviews and further productivity enhancements.
• According to UMMS, Toad also plays a key role in reducing information governance risks by helping to ensure compliance with HIPAA and SAS70 regulations, which require change tracking and auditing capabilities.
Quest’s Industry-Leading, Cross-Platform Tools Make the Grade
• For UMMS, the breadth of Toad’s functionality and variety of advanced features clinched the decision to choose Quest’s solutions over native database tools.
• Additionally, the ability to use one tool for both Oracle and SQL Server platforms is a major plus, as DBAs familiar with both databases can easily switch between platforms and maximize their skill sets without any loss of productivity.
• UMMS has expanded its suite of Quest solutions with the addition of Spotlight® on Oracle and Spotlight® on SQL Server, which provide operational diagnostics, administration and automated database tuning.
• Moreover, UMMS relies on Quest’s ChangeAuditor® for SQL Server to track, audit, report, and alert management to any changes in real time, including who, what, when, where, which database, and why a change event occurred.
• According to UMMS, the Quest Toad solutions, as well as other complementary tools, enable the medical school’s IT department to operate at peak efficiency while keeping pace with ever-increasing database and IT support demands.
From Raymond Lefebvre, director of database and reporting systems, University of Massachusetts Medical School
• “We strive to be highly efficient in managing thousands of vital databases. Quest’s Toad software gives us access to robust features, such as built-in editors, SQL recall, schema compare and schema browser. We chose Toad after evaluating other solutions because of its deep, ‘Swiss Army knife’ functionality.”
• “My team is responsible for deploying all database changes into Oracle and SQL Server. With Toad, we can streamline the effort of bringing applications into our environment as it has the same look and feel between platforms.”
• “It’s important to have a multi-functional tool that meets the different demands of database developers, administrators and analysts. As a result, we can successfully meet the needs of the medical school while doubling IT staff productivity.”
Quest Software (Nasdaq: QSFT) simplifies and reduces the cost of managing IT for more than 100,000 customers worldwide. Our innovative solutions make solving the toughest IT management problems easier, enabling customers to save time and money across physical, virtual and cloud environments. For more information about Quest solutions for administration and automation, data protection, development and optimization, identity and access management, migration and consolidation, and performance monitoring, go to quest.com/.